ALARA is a luxury lifestyle brand dedicated to contemporary art, design, fashion, cuisine and culture. It was birthed by Nigerian businesswoman Reni Folawiyo and provides an important platform for young African creatives’ like Maki Oh, MaXhosa by Laduma and Loza Maléombho.
ALARA is committed to the discovery, support, growth and exposure of young creatives in Africa and its diaspora through the Emerge ALARA platform.
With a focus on Design, Art, Fashion and Cuisine, Emerge ALARA aims to select the most promising talent in each discipline. The platform also recognises the cohort of talent currently at ALÁRA through its fellowship program.
Emerge ALARA – The Fashion Edition this year will select the most promising young designer and fashion media creative and offer them the opportunity to present a retail collection and exhibition respectively at ALARA, as well as receive mentorship from a carefully selected team of advisors.
This launch edition will focus on unearthing the very best African talent in Fashion Design and Visual Media. Applications are open to Africans in the creative fields of Fashion Apparel Design, Accessory Design, Photography and Filmmaking.
“This marks the beginning of an important journey to discover and celebrate young creatives on the continent and diaspora, at a depth and scale that hasn’t been done before,” ALARA CEO Reni Folawiyo said about the award.
Winning creatives will be offered;
- An exclusive collection/ exhibition to be financed and stocked at ALARA
- Mentorship from an internationally acclaimed advisory board
- Access to technical expertise and facilities
The Application Process
- Applicants fill in a detailed online application form and go through a screening process to reveal the top 3 applicants in each category.
- Shortlisted applicants will then face a panel of judges that pick one winner from each category.
- Applications will be considered on a first come first serve basis, so early submission is advised.
How to Apply
- Please note that creatives should have produced at least 2 bodies of work, have a brand story that resonates with Africans and be between 18 and 30 years old.
- Applications open on Tuesday the 17th of July and close on Friday the 17th of August.
- Other terms conditions apply. For further details on eligibility and how to apply please visit: http://Emerge.ALARALagos.com/
Emerge Launch Calendar
- Online applications – 17/07/2018 to 17/08/2018
- Finalists and Winners selected – August 2018
- Production begins – August 2018
- Showcase event – October 2018
Please direct all inquiries to Emerge@ALARALagos.com